Higher National Diploma (HND) in Computing
Purpose of the BTEC Higher Nationals in Computing
The purpose of Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Computing is to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the computing sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. The qualifications aim to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them.
Who is this Qualification for?
The Pearson BTEC Higher National qualifications in Computing are aimed at students wanting to continue their education through applied learning. Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals provide a wide-ranging study of the computing sector and are designed for students who wish to pursue or advance their career in computing. In addition to the knowledge, understanding and skills that underpin the study of the computing sector, Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in computing give students experience of the breadth and depth of the sector that will prepare them for further study or training.
Objectives of the BTEC Higher Nationals in Computing
The objectives of the BTEC Higher Nationals in Computing are as follows:
● To equip students with computing skills, knowledge and the understanding necessary to achieve high performance in the global computing environment.
● To provide education and training for a range of careers in computing, including network engineering, software engineering, data analytics, security, intelligent systems, and applications development.
● To provide insight and understanding into international computing operations and the opportunities and challenges presented by a globalised market place.
● To equip students with knowledge and understanding of culturally diverse organisations, cross-cultural issues, diversity and values.
● To provide opportunities for students to enter or progress in employment in computing, or progress to higher education qualifications such as an Honours degree in computing or a related area.
● To provide opportunities for students to develop the skills, techniques and personal attributes essential for successful working lives.
● To provide opportunities for those students with a global outlook to aspire to international career pathways.
● To provide opportunities for students to achieve a nationally recognised professional qualification.
● To provide opportunities for students to achieve vendor accredited certifications.
● To offer students the chance of career progression in their chosen field.
● To allow flexibility of study and to meet local or specialist needs.
● To offer a balance between employability skills and the knowledge essential for students with entrepreneurial, employment or academic aspirations.
Aims of the Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Computing
The Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Computing offers students six specialist pathways designed to support progression into relevant occupational areas or on to degree-level study. These pathways are linked to Professional Body standards and vendor accredited certification (where appropriate) and can provide professional status and progression to direct employment.
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma offers the following specialist pathways for students who wish to concentrate on a particular aspect of computing:
● Network Engineering
● Software Engineering
● Data Analytics
● Intelligent Systems
● Applications Development.
There is also a non-specialist ‘Computing’ pathway, which allows students to complete a Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma without committing to a particular professional specialism. This offers additional flexibility to providers and students.
Holders of the Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma will have developed a sound understanding of the principles in their field of study and will have learned to apply those principles more widely. They will have learned to evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches to solving problems. They will be able to perform effectively in their chosen field and will have the qualities necessary for employment in situations requiring the exercise of personal responsibility and decision-making.